Tuesday, October 23, 2012

random pictures + not-so-fancy cheesy broccoli & potato soup

 We have been doing a lot of Halloween crafting around here, but this one is my favorite! When I was in kindergarten we made these ghost feet and I was so excited to dip Riley's little feet in some paint and make her some ghost feet too!

 Over the weekend we got to see some fancy miniature highland cattle in town. This one was sporting a very fancy "princess" tiara.

 Best apron EVER! such a thoughtful wedding gift from a thoughtful lady..Thanks Odessa!

 This munchkin makes all days good days (even when she is a pain in my rear)

 wedding flowers still going strong on my kitchen table! so pretty *sigh*

Pear and Gorgonzola salad for lunch...yum 

yummy cheesy broccoli and potato soup + the best dang cola I have ever had=cozy Sunday night dinner. (I know this is a bad picture but my camera died right after I took it and I couldn't just wait and let my soup get cold!)

Cheesy Broccoli & Potato soup
I dont normally add carrots to the soup, but since I had a bunch on hand I thought Why Not! 
Ingredients
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 Large carrots, chopped

1/4 tsp pepper(more to taste)
dash of cayenne pepper

1/4 cup flour
5-6 medium potatoes, scrubbed and chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups milk
2 cups broccoli, steamed 
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

In a large pot or dutch oven, melt butter, add onion and carrots and cook until tender. Add flour, pepper, cayenne and stir until smooth. Add broth, milk and potatoes, stirring constantly until starts to boil and thicken. Reduce heat and cover. let simmer for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cheese and broccoli, stir until cheese is melted. for added texture I like to mash with a potato masher until most of the large potatoes are mashed. add more cheese, salt and pepper if desired. Enjoy with a nice cold cola! happy cooking-Jess 

No comments:

Post a Comment